Thursday, December 25, 2008

My Top 5 Christmas Movie Picks

I would've liked to do a Top 10, but these are the only five I can think of; I've got a cold that's getting worse as the day goes on. These aren't reviews, just my recommendations:

1. The Ref. Probably my absolute favorite, I've watched it at least 20 times and my funny bone is tickled with each viewing. Denis Leary, Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey star and I love all of them. Beyond the stellar cast, it has so many elements I love in a movie: a Rottweiler, loads of cursing, cat pee, and wealthy snobs who get theirs during the course of the movie. Oh also, it has a happy ending.

2. Love Actually. I adore this movie, it is so cheezy-sweetie-good in so many ways, with some typical, predictable dark spots. It's an ensemble piece and my favorite stars are Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. I sometimes want to hate myself for loving it, but I do anyway. Also, it has a happy ending.

3. A Christmas Story. I know this choice is totally predictable, but let's face it, there's a dearth of good Christmas stories out there. Why recite the exploits of Ralphie and his family and friends, you've probably seen the movie 56 times like I have. Let's just say it's a cute story and every kid (big and small) ought to see it. Also, it has a happy ending.

4. It's a Wonderful Life. See #3 above, first sentence. Both of my kids HATE this movie and we've never watched it together. Still, when I'm in the mood to overdose on treacle and angel miracles (and to look at Jimmy Stewart's adorable face), this is a great pick. Also, it has a happy ending. And you resolve to try to be good, good, good from this moment on.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The cartoon, not the one with Jim Carrey. A classic that I've been watching for almost a century. In real life, I've never witnessed the miracle of someone's heart growing from "two sizes too small" to one with gut-bursting generosity (in fact, maybe just the opposite), but hey, I guess it can happen. Also, it has a happy ending.

I haven't forgotten Dickens' Christmas Story, it's just been so long since I've actually seen it (and there are so many different movies that have been made of it), that I didn't feel like including it. That, and I'm running out of steam here. But it also has a happy ending!

So you see, I have a hard, crunchy outside and a soft, squooshy middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment